Monday, August 16, 2010

Hint of Curry, Lots of Flavour

 So weird thing. I have been having many cravings for curry in the last 6 months (and no, I'm not pregnant...lol...because I know you all went there).
This meal will satisfy any inkling for delish chicken!

I very rarely buy pre-made dressings because I find the intensity of the taste has dissipated by the time it reaches my house. 

However, I am in love with this dressing because it is fast, 
easy and really packed with flavour. 


VH Indian Market Mango Curry Sauce
(Sorry for the really bad quality picture)

I'm not a big fan of the spicy curry, so if you're wondering how this tastes, 
here's my best description:
Tangy, mildly curry flavoured, a hint of fruit, creamy/milky.
Please go out and buy this item which is now a staple in my kitchen.

You can choose to eat these all seperately, or you can layer them together.



Layered




Brown Rice
Tired of boring rice, with no flavour, and lots of butter and salt?
Try this, which is the only way I like my rice.

(I haven't tried the Uncle Ben's flavoured rice, but I'm sure this tastes similar, less the salt, preservatives, BPA, etc.

  • 3 Tbsp Chicken Broth Concentrate (per cup of rice)
  • Add fresh chopped Parsley (or dry if none on hand)
  • 1 tsp of Salt
  • 1 tsp Pepper
  • 1/2 clove Garlic

Add in all ingredients, cook rice. No butter needed :)



Mango-Curry Chicken
YUM YUM YUM!!


  • Slice 2 chicken breasts into small strips
  • Cook in non-stick pan for 6 minutes, flipping chicken bits once
  • Add "Mango Curry Dressing"
  • Cook for another 8 minutes (to marinate the chicken)
  • Serve over a bed of rice or Asian noodles.




Crumbed Potatoes
A different twist on the traditional potatoes


2 Lbs Yellow Yukon Gold Potatoes (they pack the most flavour)
         (Chop into 2" x 2" x 2" squares. Boil these in water for 15-20 minutes)

Put potatoes in saucepan or non-stick pan, and coat with:
  • 5 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Pepper
  • 1-1 1/2 cups of Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs (or panko)


Cook over medium heat for 10 mintues, until slightly browned.




Root Vegetable Medley 
Amazing and healthy veggies, caramlized to perfection.




  • Carrots
  • Parsnip
  • Butternut squash
  • dash salt
  • dash pepper
  • butter


  1. Julienne*  vegetables.
  2. Put in Cast Iron Pan, with 1 inch water.
  3. Cook until water is almost gone.
  4. Add butter, salt and pepper.
  5. Continue cooking until slightly browned/caramelized.
  6. Turn over every 2 mins.

*Slice veggies until they are matchstick thin, and rectangular in shape.

No comments: