Monday, September 20, 2010

Healthy Chicken Tenders!!


This is a recipe I make constantly for my two little kids.
What little child doesn't like breaded chicken?
I'm sure they would love to chow down on unhealthy,
 deep-fried chicken tenders, 
however their body and mind would not thank me. 

It's not good for their body
or eating habits.

It's not good for their brain development.

And it's not good for the bank account 
(By this, I mean its more expensive to buy 3 chicken strips 
than make your own).

I have said before, I am unfailingly strict with healthy eating. 
I believe that if you children
 are raised with things like
  whole wheat bread, vegetables, lentils, etc, 
they will  use those as the basis for the eating. 
They will take that with them when they're 14 and mom can't tell them 
what to eat (as much) anymore.

I personally only use organic meat because I can't believe what is in the "other stuff." 
Hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, etc.
It is a bit more expensive, but I personally believe it's important to know what we put in our bodies. We only get one :)
(this is just my personal opinion, and not necessarily yours)

The nice thing is, these are easy and fast
The kids won't even know
 how healthy they are!!



Healthy Chicken Tenders
2 large chicken breasts   (doesn't that make way more sense than lbs? or grams?)

Dressing:  (mix these each in a separate bowl)
1st bowl:
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour

2nd bowl:
2 Eggs (beaten with a fork)

3rd bowl:
3 tsp Chili Powder (it's not hot, just smoky flavoured)
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 Tbsp fresh chopped Cilantro and Flat Leafed Parsley
2 cups of bread crumbs 
~quick recipe~
4 slices of whole wheat bread.
Break these up into a fine grind of bread crumbs.
Toast in the oven on broil until just barely toasted (very pale tan)
Once out of oven, break up chunks and toss in bowl.
Add rest ingredients, mix well.

  1. Slice chicken into 1" x 1" x 1" strips.
  2. Make sure to coat each layer thoroughly!!
  3. (use tongs) Dip into first bowl of flour. 
  4. Then Second bowl of eggs.
  5. Then Third bowl of bread crumbs.
  6. Put on sheet of parchment paper.
  7. Bake in 375〫oven for 10 minutes one side, then flip and put in for another 10 minutes.

Cut one in half to make sure it's done as this time is for convection oven, 
not convention oven.

Serve with Honey Mustard Sauce (or plum, BBQ)

1 comment:

Sarah Luney said...

Love love LOVE the healthy chicken strips! I did'nt feel guilty (and like ive eaten a brick)like I do when I eat processed disgusting chicken strips. I SO agree with your very health conscious cooking methods. It makes all the difference in the world to how you feel, energy levels etc. Keep 'em coming -- I will likely try them all!