Monday, September 20, 2010

Gnocci...I love you.

It began with a love affair: italian food.

I bought a book at the grocery store for $8....a steal! 
It was called, "The Food of Italy" and I already
knew I would love it.
Now, some of you know (and some don't know)
 that there is some books and shows that claim to have "italian cooking." Be wary of these shows because they are not rustic, true Italian cooking.

How can you tell? True Italian cooking is very simple, few ingredients and very "natural" forms of food. You'll know right away :)

So anyways, like I was saying.
I went through this book and found many recipes I wanted to try. 
They were amazing!

Then I found my love....Gnocci.


(Healthy Garden Veg & Garlic)

OR

(Cheesy Gnocci Bake)
(I apologize for the lower-quality picture. This dish tastes amazing! It's my favorite!!)

Oh man! It was amazing!! My mouth had its own little party.
My hubby was even more in love with it than I was.
Because he has limited eating,
 he dived right into these because he could have them.

(Truth be told, I almost (but not quite) regret making them because now my
husband asks for them ALL the time,
and they're a fair amount of work, but I do love him lots :)



Yes, they are a fair amount of work, but you don't have to make them everyday. And my best tip, is to make lots at once, then freeze the rest.
They freeze amazingly! 
Taste as fresh as the day you made them!!!

Gnocci
2 lbs yellow potatoes, peeled or not (your choice. I do)
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp grated parmesan
1-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour


  1. Dice and boil potatoes until soft.
  2. Mix up to release steam and cool down.
  3. Add rest of ingredients to potatoes.
  4. Mix until dough-like consistency.  (see below, just before kneading)
  5. You don't want it stiff, but not sticky either.
  6. Put flour on the counter, and break dough into about 5 sections.
  7. Roll each section into 1 inch diameter logs.
  8. Once into log shape, cut the log every 1 inch into little squares.
  9. They will look like pillows.
  10. Boil "pillows" in salted water until the float to the top.
  11. Pull out (use a spoon with holes)
  12.  Put on wire rack to dry.
  13. Once dry, do one of the following:
  • Freeze for later:  (taste just as amazing as fresh)
    • Freeze the gnocci on a rack or large pan, making sure the gnocci is separated, none are touching each other.
    • Once frozen that way, you can throw them all in a Ziploc bag, making sure it's sealed tightly.
    • Store for up to 2-3 months.
      • To re-heat:
        • Boil them in a pot of water for 2 minutes, to thaw them.
        • Continue with however you want to make them
  • Healthy Garden Veg and Garlic Recipe
    • Stirfry any fresh veggies, making sure they're sliced thinly
    • Add in a bit of EVOO, salt and peper, and 1 clove of garlic.
    • In a non-stick pan, fry up the gnocci with butter, and 1 clove of garlic, until lightly browned on either side.
    • Put veggies and gnocci together.
    • Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.

  • Cheesy Gnocci Bake
    • Put gnocci in a casserole dish.
    • Make a cheese sauce (flour, milk, butter, cheese).
    • Add any veggies you may want (carrots and parsnip, pan fried)
    • Slice up some pancetta into small bits.
    • Pour cheese sauce over gnocci.
    • Sprinkle pancetta over cheese sauce.
    • Top with grated parmesan cheese
    • Bake in 375〫 for 15 minutes, uncovered.



2 comments:

loni said...

Hey Chels, what's EVOO?

This looks tasty!

Dustin and Chelsey said...

Hey Lon,
Sorry, it's Extra Virgin Olive Oil...I should mention that somewhere, thanks for letting me know!!
They are delish!! Let me know how you like them...I'm always up for feedback!