Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pumpkin-Apple-Pecan Muffins...Oh My!!

Well my friends, yes, it's been a while. 
Time has flown by and I hope you know I still love you, my friends! 

But I'm hoping to keep up with it again now that I'm refreshed from a much needed "life-break." 
(ps: I apologize for no picture! I took one but my camera won't load)

As I've said before (and will continue to say again...sorry!) I LOVE healthy food and live healthy food. But healthy food doesn't have to taste bad!!

A story.

I love muffins. But I don't like that they're actually cake, disguised as muffins. They come packed with TONS of calories, and not the good kind! One commercial muffin can contain up to 900 calories! WHAT?? 
And no offence Mr. Bran, but you taste like...well...the opposite of what yummy is! 

So here's a super healthy, but super yummy, muffin! 
You can feel GREAT about eating this one!

Pumpkin-Apple-Pecan Muffins
1 Cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal (not instant)
1/2 cup unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin
2 large Egg Whites plus one yolk (lightly beaten)
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Canola Oil
1 Tbsp baking Powder
1/2 tsp baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
1/2 cup of milk (or milk alternative)
3/4 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
1-2 Tbsp flax seed (ground)
3/4 cup pecans (or walnuts)
(toss in cranberries for flavour if you like!)

  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Line muffin pan with liners
  3. Mix just until moistened
  4. Fill cups 2/3 full
  5. Bake about 15-20 mins


I eat mine with just a smidge of jam spread thinly. 
Leave a comment below and let me know how you like them!
(recipe adapted from: Tosca Reno "The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook")

No comments: